Vaping This Week
The biggest release this week has to be that from Public Health England who have published an e-cigarette evidence review, undertaken by leading independent tobacco experts and updates their 2015 review.
The main findings :
- Vaping poses a small fraction of the risk Vs traditional cigarettes and making the switch conveys substantial health benefits
- E-cigarettes are helping and could be contributing to 20,000 plus quitters per year. They are associated with improved quit success and accelerated drops in smoking rates
- Many thousands of smokers still incorrectly believe vaping is as harmful as smoking and 40% of smokers have still not tried an e-cigarette.
- There is a big public misunderstanding about nicotine. less than 10% of adults understand that most of the risks to health from smoking are not caused by nicotine
- The use of e-cigarettes has plateaued over the last 3 years at approx 3 million.
- The evidence does not support that vaping and e-cigarettes are a route to smoking in young people. In fact youth smoking rates continue to decline, regular use is rare and confined to those who have smoked
This review reinforces the case for vaping and comes just weeks after a US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine report on e-cigarettes also stated they are far less harmful.
If someone in your family or a friend is still smoking, there has never been more of a case for making the switch. As research continues, years go by, all we see is more confidence in the use of e-cigs and even better products to make quitting easier.
If you want to buy someone a present to help them on their way, but not sure exactly which route to go down, which device, which vape juice amongst the plethora of products available - give us a call.